HISTORY PT 3|
Here is the 3rd part of the Metallica diary. If you find anything
missing please tell me, and I'll see what I can do!
- King Nothing premiered on MTV
on 1/17/97. It was shot in Salt Lake
City, Utah about a month earlier.
- Lars got married to his long time girlfriend Skylar. Apparantly
Lars said that thing about them breaking it off was so that they would not
get mobbed by fans at the church they got married in.
- MetallicA played "King Nothing" on the American Music
Awards and won the price for best metal/hard rock album. When they went up to
accept their award, Lars said, "I would like to thank this man, James
Hetfield, for putting on his best suit and being my best man at my
wedding last night."
- Ted Nugent was guest star at the gig at Palace Of Auburn Hills. They weren't too happy with him for what he did. Ted basically forced his way into their show, then ruined their moment in
the sun (throwing pics and sticks and thanking the crowd).
- Metallica played 3 festivals in Europe this summer to get out of the studio for a while. First day was at the Pukkelpop festival in Hasselt, Belgium
- Blindman's Ball Festival, Stuttgart, Germany
- Reading Festival, Reading, U.K.
- To celebrate the release of their new album, Metallica wanted to play a concert - for free. The only problem was that they didn't know where! They gave the fans a few details and a 800 telephone number where they could call in to make suggestions. The free concert had to be held on Tuesday, November 11 (Veteran's Day), outdoors as this had to be a big free show for anyone wishing to make the trip. Over 120,000 Metallica fans bombarded a phone lines.
- Photo session for the launch of the new album has already took place, and it is a
stunning live session by Anton Corbijn. These live photos will be included in the packaging
for the new album. There was further two photo sessions prior to the album release,
which was for press use.
- The 11th Annual Bridge School Benefit Shows at Shoreline Amphitheater, San
Francisco. They played an entirely acoustic set which lasted about an hour. Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains came out and played the Lynrd Skynrd song Tuesday's Gone. They also played Lowman's Lyrics for the first time.
- The second Annual Bridge School Benefit Show at the save venue. the sets were the same except
on Saturday they did not play Low Mans Lyric, instead they played
another new tune called "My Eye's". Also on the bill was Kacy Crowley,
Blues Traveler's, Lou Reed, Smashing Pumpkins, Alanis Morissette, Dave
Matthew's Band, and Neil Young.
- 20 & 21.10.97
- The band shot the "Memory remains" video in LA,
actually at the Van Nuys airport. It costed $400.000.00 and featured the band it a huge box that costed over $100.000.00. The video had it's world premiere on MTV's Mattrock show the 15th of November 1997.
- The final day for the fans to call in to teh 800 telefone number and suggest a place where Metallica could play their free show. The "winner"? Philadelphia's CoreStates Arena parking lot.
- Neighbors of the Philadelphia's CoreStates Arena parking lot in South Philadelphia are going went court on morning to try to block the free outdoor concert by the "heavy-metal band". It wasVincent Fumo who asked his Harrisburg lawyer, Christopher Craig, to see what he could do. Craig spent all day drafting a request for an injunction that he delivered to Common Pleas.
- Metallica's free concert, dubbed the "Million Decibel March," was helt in Philadelphia parking lot and was a great success. For the show's intro, they showed Jaymz playing the famous ESPN commercials' "Da-na-na, na-na-na" from the Sportscenter music on his guitar. Here is what the local newspapaer Philadelphia Inquirer had to say about the show: "It was part burlesque show, part rugby match,
and hearing-loss loud. The band was profane
on stage and charming before the show.
Police pronounced the fans better behaved
than a Philadelphia Eagles crowd. And
neighbors who feared the worst from the
self-styled Loudest Band in the World
complained more about the sound from the
news choppers circling overhead."
- Memory Remains single released in America. It has been available in Europe ant the rest of the world for a few weeks
- Lars and his bandmates played a free show at London's premier dance venue Ministry Of Sound to launch their new album 'Re-Load'. Prior to the show Lars said in a press release: "I've never heard of the Ministry Of Sound but I'm sure Metallica playing there will making it a hit!"
- Metallica performed live on NBC's Saturday Night Live show
- Mars 98
- The world tour in support of Reload in Asia. Metallica wasn't there on their Load tour, and they did Australia as well.
- 23 Jun 1998
- Rehearsals for the upcomming "Poor re-touring me 98". The tour started the day after in West Palm Beach, Florida, and ended in San Diego, California September the 13th.
- 15 Aug 1998
- Lars becomes a father. Skylar Ulrich gave birth to a baby boy, Myles Ulrich, at 4:15 am in New York City. He was 7 pounds, 8 ounces and was 20 inches
- 5 Sep 1998
- George, WA (The Gorge) Someone in the crowd threw a glass bottle towards the stage and hit Jason in the head! Jason got hurt but came back and finished the show as strong as ever. "We are here to give it all we got but I don t understand why we have to watch out for shit thrown at us during the show. I hope they find that fucker who did it" - James comments to the audience after the incident.
- 14 Sep 1998
- Metallica went straight in to the studio the day after the last show in San Diego. They recorded the new songs on the "Garage Inc." CD
- 18 Oct 1998
- Playboy Mansion, Los Angeles. A 45 minutes gig in front of some of the most beautiful women in the world and other celebrities. Metallica played at the Playboy party
- Oct 19 1998
- Photo shoot in Los Angeles Metallica spent 6 hours at the old "Ambassador Hotel" together with photographer Danny Clinch. The pictures was ment for the "Garage Inc." cover
- 21 Oct 1998
- Metallica spent Wednesday the 21st recording the video for their version of Bob Seger's Turn The Page from the upcoming Garage Inc. album. The clip is directed by Swedish director Jonas Akerlund, who also filmed Madonna's Ray of Light video and Prodigy´s Smack my Bitch. It all took place at Raleigh Studios in Los Angeles.
- Nov 98
- Metallica filed a lawsuit against online store Amazon.com over the bootleg album entitled "Bay Area Thrashers: The Early Days." The group is seeking an unspecified amount in damages, in addition to an injunction preventing future sales of the album.
- 22 Nov 98
- Metallica finished the videoshoot for 'Whiskey in the Jar' in Brooklyn, NY in the first week of December 1998.
- 19 & 20 Nov 98
- Metallica perform to promote the release of Garage Inc. The Aragon Ballroom -Chicago the 19th and State Theatre, Detroit, MI on the Nov 20th. According to the industry trade publication Pollstar Metallica made $32 million dollars this year
- 14 Jan 99
- Metallica filed a lawsuit against Victoria's Secret and Victoria's Secret Catalogue, citing trademark infringement, false designation of origin, unfair competition, and dilution.
The following is from the lawsuit: "Victoria's Secret manufactures and sells lip pencils bearing the mark Metallica. The packaging for Victoria's Secret's Metallica lip pencils also bear the mark Metallica. These lip pencils continue to be sold by Victoria's Secret throughout the United States.
- 25 Jan 99
- Whiskey in the Jar video and singles released. The single comes as a 3 CD set where parts 2 and 3 are limited to 10,000 copies
- 24 Feb 99
- 41st annual Grammy Award winners announced. Best metal performance: "Better Than You" by Metallica
- 16 Mar 99
- The Recording Industry Association of America gave Diamond awards to AC/DC, The Eagles, and Metallica. The Diamond award goes to single titles that sell 10 million or more copies, and Metallica got it for the black album. The awards was presented at a special ceremony in New York City's Roseland Ballroom with 46 recording artists representing 62 titles.
Until this day, the RIAA has only presented record sales awards for
Gold (500,000 units), Platinum (1 million units) and Muti-Platinum® (2
million or more units). The Diamond Award was bestowed for the first time
by the RIAA to the biggest names in the music industry.
James Hetfield thanked producer Bob Rock "for making the big noises extra big."
- 20 Mar 99
- Kirk Hammett played with Swarm, a band formed by several of his friends
- 11 Apr 99
- Metallica started their world tour in Honolulu. They also did two dates at the Berkeley Community Theatre in San Francisco which later ended up on the S&M album. A few dates in south America followed before they headed over to Europe where they ended the tour in Lisbon, Portugal. Many festival shows, including the Roskilde festival in Lars' home country Denmark
- 21 - 22 Apr 99
- Metallica and San Francisco Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Kamen perform together the 10 songs later know as S&M at Berkeley Community Theatre.
Gig reports said that ".....thrashier songs as "Battery" the orchestra basically bolsters the sturm und drang by underscoring the powerful themes that drive it. With other numbers, notably "Master of Puppets" and newer tunes like "Devil's Dance," there's more room for interplay between rock and classical elements - horns flash brassily in the mix and percussion peppers the grinding grooves."
- 30 Apr 99
- Pantera frontman Phil "Animal" Anselmo joined Metallica onstage in Mexico City on April 30th. The quintet performed Creeping Death to the delight of 50.000 Mexican fans.
- 23 May 99
- At the Dynamo Open Air show Metallica invited Evan, Billy and Danny from Biohazard, Scott Ian from Anthrax and Anthony from Merauder on stage to sing the "die die die" part of Creeping Death.
- 5 Jun 99
- Metallica had a nice surprise in Milan, Italy. They invited King Diamond and Hank Sherman from Mercyful Fate for the 12 minute long Mercyful Fate medley!
- 14 Jun 99
- Die Die Die My Darling single released with live tracks recorded at the Roseland Ballroom in New York
november 1998. In Australia the single was released the 19th and it included as a bonusan enhanced CD-ROM with "Turn The Page" and "Whiskey In The Jar" video clips.
- 22-25 Jul 99
- US Woodstock 1999 which commemorated the 30th anniversary of the original festival held in Bethel, N.Y. Of cource, Metallica played there as they did in 1994.
- Sep 99
- Power. Performance. Attitude. These are keywords when we do talk about the HotWeels Turbo racing game. And this time they can really call it Powerfull. The game released on Nintendo64 and Playstation Septemer 1999 with Metallicas "Fuel" in the soundtrack on the Playstation edition.
- 19 & 23 Nov 99
- In conjunction with the new release "S&M, Metallica played two
live symphony shows, one in Madison Square Gardens, New York with the New York Symphony orchestra, and a show in Germany with Babelsberger Film Orchester. A short tour followed.
- 23 Nov 99
- The 2CD live album S&M released in the states. The date did vary depending on where you lived on the planet. Several Metallica videos were released on DVD at the same time "Cliff 'Em All" and "A Year and A Half... PT 1 & 2".
- 31 Dec 99
- Silverdome, Pontiac, USA . Metallica and Ted Nugent will usher in the next millennium together with a New Year's Eve show in Pontiac, Mich